Monday, December 5, 2011

40 days closer to Christ.





Today I am starting a reading program.  I will read and ponder the book of Mormon in 40 days.  I think I will give myself 47 days to finish it. That way there is room for for busy days(Christmas and New Years).  That means I will be finished January 21th. If I sitck to to the strict 40 day plan I will be finished Jan 14th. I am trying it out to see if it would be a good fit for our YW.  We are doing summer of the BoM (Book of Mormon) this year.  We want to encourage the girls to read the Book of Mormon during the summer.   The plan I am following is found here.

Here is Day one.

Read: 1 Nephi 1-10   Mark & Ponder: 1 Nephi 3:7
Scripture of the day:
“..Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes
of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make
them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.” (Ezekiel 37:19)
Thought for the day:
“There is a book we need to study daily, both as individuals and as family, namely the
Book of Mormon.  I love that book.  It is the book that will get a person nearer to God by
abiding by its precepts than any other book.  Let us continually reread the Book of
Mormon so that we might more fully come to Christ, be committed to Him, centered in
Him, and consumed in Him.” (Pres. Ezra Taft Benson)



My thoughts after finishing day one.
- The reading took me just over 30 minutes.  I broke it up into two reading periods.
-My family isn't the only one that fights on road trips.  Lehi's family makes our kids seem like angels.
-Is Nephi a little boastful he talks about his stature several times like in 1Nephi 2:16 and 4:31. I am thinking his brothers must have been big also to get away with how they treated him or maybe there needed to be two of them.
-Notice the only time Laman and Lemuel didn't murmur about going back to Jerusalem was when they went back for wives.

Yesterday I thought Marissa's primary class they are 8 years old.  I started to ask them how much they knew about Lehi and his family.  They all were very smart and each told a small story about the Family.  One boy went on and on and I was very impressed.  He started to make me feel guilty for not reading the Book of Mormon with my kids more.  When I told the boy I was impressed with how much he knew about the Book of Mormon he smiled and said  "I saw the movie."  I guess I need to get some movies for my kids so they can impress their Primary teachers.

No comments: