Friday, October 19, 2007

Student of the day

Yesterday Nicole was student of the day at Mountain Ridge JH. I wouldn't have known for weeks if Courtney had not known. Nicole's English teacher thought she deserved it and nominated her. In a week we should get a note in the mail from her teacher telling us why she nominated Nicole. Of course Nicole hates the attention and threw away the award before she got home.

This award got me thinking about how lucky I am to have such great kids. My Favorite time is dinner and 1/2 hour before and after. The reason is we are all in the kitchen getting dinner ready then we sit down and eat then we all clean up. Yesterday we were all getting dinner ready and Courtney started talking about how she thought it would be nice to get $5 a month allowance. Nicole stepped in and said why should we get paid we don't do anything. I thought how lucky I am they don't think they help out at home. Nicole was making a salad at that time and helping put the finishing touches on dinner because she likes to cook. Courtney and Dallen were emptying the dishwasher and Derek and Marissa were setting the table. They were all working and they didn't even notice.

My girls each babysit for other people and make at least $5 an hour doing that so an allowance of $5 a month wouldn't be much. I give them on average an hour of chores a day helping out with kids and cleaning up messes. I guess I don't have to pay it because Nicole talked them out of asking for it. I guess I am lucky. I hope to be able to raise kids who look for ways to help and know how to work.

I guess I already know that my kids can work because the YM leaders are often telling me how much they love My girls and that they work. They had the YW serve at a luncheon and the leaders said my girls were the hard workers. Now if only I could get Nic. to work on her YW value projects.

No comments: